Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teacher! Finsihed!

First Day of School

Well it was really the third, but it was the first with students, so I'll take it as the first day.

I'm trying to remember my first day of 2nd grade... I was living in the Florida Keys with my family. My brothers and I took the super sneaky backway (trudging through neighbors hydranga brushes primarily) to get to our bus stop. I had on my favorite hooded sweater, this nasty army paint shirt my mom used to wear. I thought that I was going to be teased on the bus because I wore glasses, but I wasn't. HOwever, someone could have told me that is wasn't cool to wear my glasses' sport band over my shoulder. It really wasn't fancy.

In any case, I got to my class, and when roll was called, I didn't know what to do. So I stood up and walked over to my teacher's desk to ask her why she called me. She looked at me funny, and told just to say "here!" I felt dumb.

Today was my first day of second grade again. And it was rough. The girls were super unruly (it's not me, I swear!) and I had come short on my patience by the fourth hour. Luckily, I only had one more to go, and so I set us to the great task of coloring birds to decorate the class. The students have a horrible habit of raising their hands and shouting, "TEACHER! FINISHED!!" Which is my cue to come over, praise their beautiful choice of colors, and tell them what to do next. They have a hard time of just sitting still and waiting. I'm gonna have to get this kiddoes into shape.

So I stayed 6 hours after the final bell to plan for the next day. Although I was able to put up calendars, helpers chart, a behavior system, and a class promise....I hardly planned for the next day. Consequently, I think I'm just gonna drill on the rules, expected behavior, and if any one of them yells TEACHER FINISHED! I'm gonna take their clothespin off the green smiley and onto the yellow serious face. Then they'll know I mean business.

FINISHED!!

No comments: