Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Happy Thanksgiving to All! (a week later is betta than neva)

Even if I'm late to say it, I get credit for celebrating the best of American celebrations.

Photo by Jill 


I drove up from Madinat Zayed to Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, played ultimate Frisbee (sorry, no futbul), went grocery shopping (only once, not fifty-seven times) to get all I needed for the big day. I was really happy that I was able to find puff pastry and cranberries at Spinney's, our Western grocery store here in Abu Dhabi; the closest thing that Bida Zayed had was dried prunes, which is not same same.

My menu...
App: Baked Camebart with raspberry jam and toasted walnuts

Photo by Jill 

Entree: Roasted Chicken with Tangy Orange Sauce and Sauteed Onions (a turkey wouldn't fit in our oven...)
Essentials: Homemade Biscuits and Sweet Cranberry Sauce

Our table also featured these culinary delights...
Blair: Pumpkin Squash Soup (otherwise known as our Biscuit Topper cuz the combo was so good) and Cranberry Cider (and Chocolate Pecan Pie that is not featured below).

Photo by Jill 

Jill: Wild Rice Stuffing, Pomengrante Salad
Molly: Super Colorful Veggie Platter, and Garlicy Greenbeans
Trish: Mashed Taters with Sour Cream

I'd say we had enough food for ten people, but we did a good job taking that grub down with only five.


Photo by Jill 


In honor of our current digs, Jill decided that we would have a shaila Thanksgiving. We all donned head gear and turned up the AC.

Photo by Jill 
(as seated left to right, in case you couldn't recognize us with our Emiratie attire: Frances, Trish, Molly, Jill, and Blair)



If you've ever wondered how to put on a headscarf, I've got the solution for you...check it out ya'll, and Happy Thanksgiving all the way from the UAE!

No comments: