Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back to the Desert


I may still be shakin' the dust outta my hair and blinking sand from my eyes, but man did I have a terrific time camping in the desert this weekend.


I rallied up a group of teachers and made it a plan to head out to the tallest dune in the UAE. Like many records kept, this is both official yet contested, some say the tallest dune is neighboring the one we were on, but for my books, I'm checking this destination off the list.


I tried to hike up the steep side of the dune, but I only made it 3/4 up, and then ran back down. However, there were a few that made it up all the way.  Here's Milad (foreground) and Sherah (back) conquering the one-step-forward-two-steps-back challenge up the hill.


Determined to get to the top, I thought of an alternative way by taking a cue from my momma. I chatted up one of the dudes in a dune buggy and made a friend. Wouldn't you know it, but Ahmed offered me a ride and we skirted around the dunes, up the back side over winding peaks, and popped up to the top!  It was quite the view and an excellent drive.

 
 

The sandy action didn't stop there, we caravaned back down the road (and it is the road as it's the only tarmac for miles and miles) and Blair staked out a spot to call home for the evening. After pitching our tents and getting the fire going, we climbed up a high dune and watched the last of the sun set.


Although I promised a peaceful evening away from city lights and traffic noise, my word was quickly made mud as a noisy four-wheeler spotted our fire and found us up on the dune. With a friendly wave and a smile, I hopped another ride and surfed over the sands again.  Our driver Mohammed was part mad-man part Formal One driver (maybe one in the same?) and showcased his manic moves on the sides of the dunes. We were at 60 degree angles and still on four wheels.  I'm not quite sure how those physics work out, but I'll just take it as a fun time.


Within thirty minutes of the sun setting behind the dunes, the stars were out and then suddenly a mess of ATVs were all around us. None of these stopped, but they too showed off their driving skills and popped wheelies and chased each other across the dunes.


Finally, we headed back to the fire, cooked some veggies and settled in for the night. Milad settled in a little more than others and snuggled his whole body into the warm sand.  Buried alive and loving it!



The next morning we woke to the sunrise and enjoyed the quiet. Then we piled back in the cars and hightailed back to showers and sand-free living.  What a relaxing weekend, and we're doing it again for the winter solstice in late December.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i wanna go camping!